Figuring out that you want to remodel is the easy decision. Maybe it’s a small corner of your home or a larger project such as a kitchen. Maybe you’ve decided you will build from the ground up. Whatever the project entails, defining clarity and purpose around what the end result will be, is the bigger challenge. How do you weed out all the pinterest photos, creative ideas, your likes, your partner’s dislikes, and come up with a game plan? This is where most people get stuck – the overwhelm, not knowing where to start, or the right questions to ask so that they can take the next step.
Before I begin any project, there is one crucial step I take, which is answering a list of questions in order to find clarity. Today on the blog, I am sharing my questionnaire that I get to ask clients before any project begins. This is my tool and guide I use to begin all my projects, so my hope is that it helps you define your priorities and goals as well. Once you define your goals through this questionnaire, you will feel more empowered to make decisions that no longer overwhelm you, but instead will give you the answer to move ahead.
Interior Design Client Questionnaire
1. What do you like about the current space? (natural light, the view from my window, tall ceilings)
2. What do you dislike about the current space? (the beat up wood floors, space feels tight and small)
3. How will you be using the space?
4. Who will be using the space?
5. What is your design style? (Traditional, Rustic, Eclectic, Bohemian, Modern)
6. What do you like about this style? (It reminds me of when we traveled to Paris. It feels comforting and calming)
7. Will you be purchasing new furniture?
8. What items do you require for this space?
9. Where do you shop for furniture and decor?
10. Is there a must have priority/non-negotiable for this space?
11. Is there a common color palette in your home? If so, what? (Creamy whites, shades of brown, dark blues, blue/orange, red/green)
12. What colors are you drawn to?
13. What metal finish are you drawn to? (Brass, Bronze, Golds, Satin Chrome, Antiqued, Polished Nickel)
14. Describe your favorite place to travel.
15. What is the most you want to spend on this project?
Let this be a guide and feel free to add your own questions or revise any of the ones used here. After you take time to answer these, summarize in 3-4 sentences (or longer if you wish) what the overall theme and goals are. You will have clarity, purpose, and a clear vision to start assembling your Pinterest board for inspiration.
Please comment below and tell me what your results are!
Until next time, cheers!
Calnin Design Studio is a full-service interior design firm serving Wisconsin and beyond. Katie and her team specialize in designing laid back luxury homes for clients seeking an intentional and slow living lifestyle.
VISIT OUR STUDIO
Opening Fall 2023
SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER
© CALNIN DESIGN STUDIO
| SITE CREDIT